Ticket #1900 (closed bug: fixed)

Opened 4 years ago

Last modified 4 years ago

Change names of 'make' coverage targets

Reported by: jkeenan Owned by: jkeenan
Priority: normal Milestone:
Component: testing Version: 2.10.0
Severity: medium Keywords:
Cc: Language:
Patch status: Platform:

Description

In the course of work on TT #1893, it was suggested that we change the name of make cover to make fullcover and the name of make quickcover to make cover. This suggestion was based on the observation that the scope of tests run in the current cover is much closer to that of the current make fulltest than it is to the current make test. make quickcover, in contrast, runs a set of tests which is actually a subset of those run by the current make test.

Moreover, the current make cover, like make fulltest, takes a long time to run. In order to make coverage analysis less onerous -- particularly for the Google Code-In participants who are focusing on boosting test coverage -- it would be better to have make quickcover be our default coverage tool for PMC and C code.

Hence, we should convert as follows:

make cover     --> make fullcover
# and when that is done ...
make quickover --> make cover

This task could be handled by a GCI participant. (I or someone else can mentor.) Most of the work will be done in config/gen/makefiles/root.in. My hunch is that many of our intermediate coverage-related make targets will not need renaming -- but that's just a hunch. You should probably first convert make cover to make fullcover, then verify that that DWIMs, and only then change make quickcover to `make cover' (and verify that as well).

Further hunch: If you grep the repository for 'quickcover', you will probably find all the files containing documentation about cover or quickcover. These are likely to include, but not be limited to:

Configure.pl
docs/dev/coverage.pod
config/auto/coverage.pm
t/steps/auto/coverage-01.t

Thank you very much.

kid51

Change History

Changed 4 years ago by cotto

I'd to see this. My only concern is that the bot that runs  http://tapir2.ro.vutbr.cz/cover/ use the fullcover target once it's ready.

Changed 4 years ago by jkeenan

  • status changed from new to assigned
  • owner set to jkeenan

Changed 4 years ago by jkeenan

This work was apparently completed and committed today.

commit 1bb6425ee26ff99f610c75bcffb32d883da23025
Author: Paul Johnson <paul@pjcj.net>
Date:   Fri Dec 31 15:59:59 2010 +0100

    Changed cover to fullcover and quickcover to cover

I'll keep the ticket open for a few days for comments or complaints.

Thank you very much.

kid51

Changed 4 years ago by jkeenan

  • status changed from assigned to closed
  • resolution set to fixed

These names have been changed again since I completed this work, so there's no point in keeping this ticket open any more. Closing.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.