Ticket #2174 (new todo)
Sharpen Support Policy for Windows, Then Implement It!
|Reported by:||jkeenan||Owned by:|
This ticket will track work on a concept which was discussed at the online Parrot Developers Summit on July 30 2011 but which did not receive enough support to be designated as a roadmap goal.
The rationale for sharpening our support policy for Parrot on Win32 was presented in this post to parrot-dev, so I won't repeat it here.
Here is the action proposal that was presented at the PDS:
1. Establish a team of Parrot developers and users to work on this Roadmap Goal. The team would be tasked with:
* Interviewing current Parrot developers and users who work on Windows to determine their needs and preferences. (Yes, such people do exist!)
* Interviewing professional software developers who work in the Windows environment and who currently have no connection with Parrot to develop an understanding of what it would take for them to first smoke-test Parrot on Windows and later undertake Parrot/HLL development on Windows.
Colloquially: What would it take to get them into the Parrot showroom and have them kick the tires?
* Examine Smolder reports to see which Windows configurations get to PASS more often than others.
2. Develop a report to the Parrot project as a whole:
* Recommending Windows configurations we should target for testing.
* Recommending ways in which we can encourage Windows developers to explore Parrot.
3. At the very least, implement Smolder reports from recommended configurations.
Thank you very much.