Ticket #4700 (new)

Opened 3 months ago

Last modified 3 months ago

Normally $30 - FREE today (52 left)

Reported by: "Body Heater Jacket" <WarmAndDRYJacket@…> Owned by:
Priority: normal Milestone: 2.11
Component: none Version: 3.8.0
Severity: medium Keywords:
Cc: Language:
Patch status: Platform:


Normally $30 - FREE today (52 left)



tone House is the first bungalow constructed in Ooty. It was built by John Sullivan and was called Kal Bangala by the tribals (Kal means stone in local tribal language). John Sullivan started building Stone House in 1822, acquiring land from the Todas at one rupee an acre. Today, it is the official residence for the principal of the Government Arts College, Ooty

St Stephen's Church is located on the road to Mysore in Ooty, in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. It is one of the oldest churches in the Nilgiris district. The church dates back to the 19th century. Stephen Rumbold Lushington, the then governor of Madras, who keenly felt the need for a cathedral in Ooty which was exclusively for the British, laid the foundation stone for the church on 23 April 1829, to coincide with the birthday of King George IV. St Stephen's Church was consecrated by John Matthias Turner, Bishop of Calcutta, on 5 November 1830. It was thrown open to public communion on Easter Sunday 3 April 1831. It came under the Church of South India in 1947. The architect in charge was John James Underwood, Captain, Madras Regiment.

St. Thomas Church, a parish in the Anglican diocese of Ooty, was begun in 1867, with the foundation stone being laid on 1 May by Lt. Gen. Howard Dowker. Construction was completed 20 October 1870, and its first service was held in 1871. Among the famous graves in the churchyard are those of Josiah John Goodwin, the British stenographer of Swami Vivekananda, and William Patrick Adam, the British governor of Madras, whose grave is topped by the stunning pillar monument dedicated to St. Thomas, the tallest structure in Ooty. The church's graveyard was used as a setting in David Lean's 1984 movie, A Passage to India, which was based on E. M. Forster’s novel of the same name.

In 1882, the rules of the game of snooker were first drafted and codified in the "Ooty Club" by Sir Neville Chamberlain (not the Prime Minister). The club still houses the billiards table that was us

untitled-part.html Download


untitled-part.html Download (5.4 KB) - added by WarmAndDRYJacket@… 3 months ago.
Added by email2trac

Change History

Changed 3 months ago by WarmAndDRYJacket@…

Added by email2trac

Changed 3 months ago by WarmAndDRYJacket@…

This message has 1 attachment(s)

Changed 3 months ago by WarmAndDRYJacket@…

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.