|Version 3 (modified by pmichaud, 7 years ago)|
Objections to using Git as a VCS, per discussion at http://irclog.perlgeek.de/parrot/2009-09-17#i_1510436 .
1. Objection: Integration with trac.
- Answer 1.1: http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/GitPlugin
2. Objection: Demonstrate that git actually is better at resolving the merging conflicts we hit in real usage.
- Answer 2.1: I know that specific examples would be great here, but does anyone actually doubt that merging is less painful in git?
3. Objection: Source code browsing tools. (including revision browsing)
- Answer 3.1: gitweb?
4. Objection: Down-time and retraining time for developers.
5. Objection: Safety of the core source (limiting the damage possible accidentally or by new committers)
- Claim: (with git it's possible to make changes that destroy the history of the repository)
- Answer 5.1: Have a server side post-commit hook that disallows non-fast-forward updates. That negates any possibility of a newbie messing up the master Parrot git repo.
- Answer 5.2: Also, the history is not destroyed, just altered. The history is still there and can easily be fixed from another Parrot git repo.