Version 15 (modified by whiteknight, 6 years ago)
- Change 'fprintf' to 'PIO_fprintf' where relevant.
- Plain %s in parrot printf-alike functions do not handle NULL C strings well. Fix.
- Further optimize where possible.
- Separate pipe-related logic out of FileHandle
- Add a "Close" or "Disconnect" method to the Socket PMC
- Unify the codepaths for Socket and Pipe into the IO API. Refactor the IO API to be more unified.
- Create "StreamDescriptor" PMC type to abstract out system-dependent IO descriptors. Would allow FileHandles and Sockets to be subclassed more easily
- Create a "StreamBuffer" PMC type to abstract out buffering details. Would allow FileHandles and Sockets to be subclassed more easily, and give all IO types easy access to buffering
- Change IO API to not use PCCINVOKE calls
- Create an abstract "IOHandle" class
- Abstract relevant API code from FileHandle and Socket into IOHandle
- Fix StringHandle to be a proper subclass of IOHandle
- Rip out the layers structures and macros. (After the migration is complete.)
- Remove src/io/io_mmap.c, unused and not useful.
- Convert I/O layers to I/O objects. (allison)
- src/io/io_unix.c is the guts of most I/O on most platforms. src/io/io_win32.c is Windows. src/io/io_stdio.c is STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR. These three need to be ported to the new system. (allison)
- src/io/io_utf8.c is really the wrong way to go about it. Filehandles should be marked with character set and encoding similar to strings. (allison)
- Create a PMC named "FileHandle", as a core file handle object, which can be subclassed by various HLLs. (allison)
- Continue to support different I/O operations on different platforms, using C '#ifdef's on platform-specific sections. (allison)
- All 'PIO_*' functions change to 'Parrot_io_*'. (Since the implementation is completely changing, better to create new functions with the new names than to change the names of existing functions.) (allison)
- Remove src/io/io_passdown.c and src/io/io_layers.c, purely implementation artifacts of I/O layers implementation.
- Change src/io/io_string.c to a subclass of FileHandle PMC, that provides the same interface, but to a string instead of a file handle.
Download in other formats: