Version 3 (modified by allison, 6 years ago)
- Convert I/O layers to I/O objects.
- Make 'print' and 'say' stringify the same way. (See RT #55196)
- Decide if we plan to use AIO before the 1.0 release. (See RT #57920)
- Change 'fprintf' to 'PIO_fprintf' where relevant.
- Plain %s in parrot printf-alike functions do not handle NULL C strings well. Fix.
- Remove deprecated opcode 'pioctl', and fix related documentation. (See RT #48589)
- All 'PIO_*' functions change to 'Parrot_io_*'. (Since the implementation is completely changing, better to create new functions with the new names than to change the names of existing functions.)
- Continue to support different I/O operations on different platforms. Possibly via roles applied to the IO PMC, or possibly just using C '#ifdef's within specific functions.
- Remove src/io/io_passdown.c and src/io/io_layers.c, purely implementation artifacts of I/O layers implementation.
- Remove src/io/io_mmap.c, unused and not useful.
- Change src/io/io_string.c to a subclass of FileHandle PMC, that provides the same interface, but to a string instead of a file handle.
- src/io/io_unix.c is the guts of most I/O on most platforms. src/io/io_win32.c is Windows. src/io/io_stdio.c is STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR. These three need to be ported to the new system.
- src/io/io_utf8.c is really the wrong way to go about it. Filehandles should be marked with character set and encoding similar to strings.
- Create a PMC named "FileHandle", as a core file handle object, which can be subclassed by various HLLs.
- Create a subclass of "FileHandle" called "StandardIO" or something like that, to hold STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR.
- Create a PMC named "Socket", as a core socket object, which can be subclassed by various HLLs.
- Split into two files src/io/file.c and src/io/network.c. (Since the implementation is completely changing, better to create new files with the new function names, rather than changing the names of existing files.)
- Rip out the layers structures and macros. (After the migration is complete.)
Download in other formats: