|Version 5 (modified by cotto, 4 years ago)|
This page exists to systematically document all deprecations that apply to core Parrot code. We don't hate our users and while we love ripping out crufty old code, we also don't want anyone developing code on top of Parrot to dread paying the "upgrade tax" when moving from one supported version to the next. The idea behind this page is that by following the instructions for each version transition, developers of HLLs and libraries can have a well-known and deterministic upgrade path.
Any new deprecations must be described on the appropriate page and summarized here before being committed to trunk. This deprecation policy will be instituted shortly before the 2.6 release. Although we will attempt to add notices for previous version transitions, these lists may be incomplete. Notifications for the 2.6->2.9 transition and later will be complete.
Changes Between 2.3 and 2.6
This list is a summary. A more complete description and migration path for each change is at ParrotDeprecationsFor2.6. Because this list was created after the deprecations were committed to trunk, it's likely we've missed a few. If you find a missing deprecation notice, file a ticket here or hop on #parrot on irc.parrot.org and let us know.
- Remove sizeof op. No replacement currently exists. TT #633
- negligible impact expected: this op was not widely used
- Replace STRING_is_null with Parrot_str_is_null. TT #1585
- moderate impact expected: simple textual substitution for C code dealing with STRING* values
- Remove in-place substr op variants. TT #1450
- high impact expected: most PIR code dealing with string substitution will need to be updated